This is where I cause a ruckus. I argue that anti-fa in America today are actually fascist in their strategies, but, by their own admission, anarchist in their vision. Anti-fa use the same strategies and techniques as the groups they are protesting. They are both deliberately belligerent, hoping for the other side to attack so they can claim self defense. They want to play both the victim and the protector. They also want to shut down all political speech by the other side.
Their political vision, according to them, is anarcho-socialist. They are anti-capitalist and do not support any government structure, even within their own group...except when cooperating with police works to their advantage. That would, in part, explain this picture:
So what you had in Charlottesville were two radical groups with more similarities than they care to admit, who like to use violence to further their agenda, colliding in the name of their cause. In the middle were people who aren't as radical. People who want to protect American exceptionalism on the right and those who detest violence and bigotry on the left. Unfortunately, those are the ones who get hurt and killed.
I am not going to victim blame. By the time that jackass got in his car and decided to mow down as many anti-fa or counter protesters, I don't think anyone knew what was going on. I'm sure people were doing things they never thought they would do in the heat of the moment.
I will also not condone one group using violence to silence the political speech of another group, no matter how abhorrent that group's message may be. Violence by one group validates the violence of the other group. Violence does not solve these issues. Violence does not cure us of racism. Violence does not promote the common good.
The 1st Amendment protects political speech, but it does not protect violence. We must confront evil ideas with reason. Expose their ideology for what it is; foolish, childish and counter to our American values. They will lose steam. If they get violent with you, defend yourself but let the police sort it out.


No comments:
Post a Comment